Monday 9 May 2016

Finally got to have a ride!

So last week, I booked a 'trail ride' (that's American for a hack), in Griffith Park. My lovely and incredibly generous friend and client, Sue Hale, who not only did the amazing portraits of Guinness and Peroni for me, also bought me a gift voucher for a two hour ride here in LA, and finally I had the time to go and do something just for me!

Guinness and Peroni already have pride of place in the new apartment!

I drove through Holywood and up a long windy residential road, to arrive at a ranch right beneath the holywood sign! As I got out the car and changed my boots, these furry little creatures started poking their noses out of their burrows. They were so cute and reminded me of my Degus I had as pets when I was younger.

At the ranch, the horses were all being groomed and tacked up ready for the day. They were all very well behaved and lined up on behind the other and then, once ready, just wandered back to the rest of the herd, saddled and ready until it was their turn.


I was pleased as the most experienced rider in the group I got to lead. The Quarter horse mare I was riding, named 'Marylin' liked to walk out and it was almost like the tranquillity of being out hacking on my own.


The paths up the mountain were wide but the drop down the cliff sides were steep and the horses were obviously used to walking along the cliff edge side which was slightly unnerving at first, but it was obvious very quickly this was what they were used to. They also take their time which is great, as they know how long the walk is so the entire hack was very leisurely..


This was my first time riding western and I have to say, it's very comfortable! Marylin was excellent and responded instantly to my energy without any need for leg.

We were out for 2 hours, and the views accross the city were amazing, even on a cloudy day. We even had a light rain shower, which must be a real treat to the horses here as it hardly ever rains!
The Holywood sign in the distance...

My Guide, Tempest, was very eager to chat as we rode, and we discussed a whole manner of horsey topics on the way back down.

It was such a lovely day, I almost didn't want to leave. Thank you so much Sue, I'll definitely be going back and I might even take David with me next time!

Kisses for Marylin!

No comments:

Post a Comment